Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bacon Mac

Found this recipe in my Cooking Light magazine. Christopher loved it so I guess I will be making this again.

3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
12 ounces penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I used medium)
1/4 cup sliced green onions (I omitted)
1 teaspoon hot sauce ( I used Frank's Hot Sauce and just a couple of dashes)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (I cheated and used the already cooked bacon)
Cooking spray

Preheat broiler.

Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain. (The whole grain pasta cooked for 11 minutes)

Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155 degrees. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.

No comments: