Friday, January 9, 2009

Grandma Birrell's Chili

It's 3:30 in the afternoon and the sun is shining but with the windchill it is 22 degrees, BRRRRR!!!  This caused me to think that I needed a pot of chili and cornbread for dinner.  I remembered that I had Grandma Birrell's chili recipe.  The beans are never cooked with the chili and this is supposed to not cause as much...humph, how to I put this delicately, oh heck, GAS.

4 pounds ground beef - Chad don't have a cow, I didn't use this much
1 large onion
1 teaspoon salt - I omitted this
1 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 can tomatoes - My family doesn't like chunk tomatoes so I ran them through the blender first
2 cups water
1 can kidney beans

Brown ground beef, onion and salt.  Drain off grease then stir in remaining ingredients.  Simmer 1 hour.  Heat kidney beans in separate pan.  Serve separate so each person can mix to their own liking.

No comments: