Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Strawberry Pudding

This is Mom's recipe but it is one of Jamie's favorite desserts and since I won't be home for her birthday we had it last night. As you read through the directions you will notice that I have made a few changes to the original recipe.

Update: I emailed Aunt Sharon and asked if she knew anything about this recipe and this is what she said, "From what I remember, it was a recipe that I got from my mom. She didn't make it a lot because of all the butter and other expensive ingredients. I remember asking her about it and she said that it was one of her mother's recipe that she used in her catering. I think that is how my mom learned to cook--by helping her mother with the catering. I really wish I had been older when Grandma Giauque passed away. She must have been a neat lady!"

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream sugar and shortening. Add flour, baking powder, milk and salt. Fold in egg whites. Put in a greased dish. Steam for 1/2 hour. I have a Black and Decker Handy Steamer and it is too small to cook the batter all at one time so I cooked half the batter and cooked the other half when that one was done and it worked great.

Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1 cup powder sugar
1 egg yolk
strawberries

Mix butter, powder sugar and egg. Add mashed strawberries. This is where I made my changes, no egg was added. You have to have sugar but I didn't use as much as the recipe called for but you need the sugar to create strawberry juices and Jamies says that is the best part. Instead of adding butter I just put butter on my hot pudding. I like butter but Jamie doesn't so she opts out.

No comments: