Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Salsa

Mom has always had the best tasting salsa and when I was visiting a couple of weeks ago I had her teach me how to make it. It was so easy tomatoes, vinegar and Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix. I just couldn't leave it as simple as that and I know that Steve likes food that he can chew so I added a few extra items and he loves it!

6 lbs. fresh tomatoes - I pureed mine because my family hates tomato chunks
2 large onions, chopped coarsely - approximately 5 cups
2 cans whole kernel corn
3 (15 oz.) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz.) package Mrs. Wages Medium Salsa Mix - I found this at Wal-Mart
1/2 cup white or cider vinegar

Wash fresh tomatoes. Scald 3 minutes in boiling water. Dip into cold water. Cut out cores, remove skins and chop coarsely.

Combine tomatoes, vinegar, onions, corn, beans and salsa mix in a large pot and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Pour hot salsa into clean, sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Cap each jar when filled. Process 40 minutes* in boiling water bath. This recipe made 10 pint jars.

* Processing time listed is for altitudes less than 1000 feet. At altitudes of 1000 feet or more increase processing time 1 minute for each 1000 feet of altitude.

No comments: