Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chicken Parmesan Casserole


I found this recipe by Chef John on Pinterest and I love it because it is so simple.  I cut my chicken into smaller pieces and pounded them out so that the meat was about the same thickness.  I used basil from a bottle because I didn't have fresh.  For leftovers the croutons were not crunchy but I would think you could zap in microwave and put under the broiler for a minute and they would crisp back up but I didn't mind that they were soft.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
hot red pepper flakes, to taste
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups marinara sauce
1/4 cup chopped basil
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
4 oz Parmesan, grated
1 (5-oz) package garlic croutons

Heat oven to 350.  Spread olive oil in the bottom of 9x13 casserole dish.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes.  Add chicken.  Spread marinara sauce over chicken.  Sprinkle with basil.  Use 1/2 of the mozzarella and Parmesan to cover marinara sauce.  Place croutons on top of cheese.  Place the remainder of the cheese on top of the croutons.  Cook for 35 - 60 minutes depending on the size of chicken breasts or until chicken is 155 degrees.

No comments: