Thursday, March 15, 2012

How To Fix Dough That Won't Rise

My yeast must be dead because I couldn't get my hamburger buns to raise but Jamie had given me another jar when she left last summer so I was able to add more to my dough.  I found these helpful tips here.

  • Create a warmer place for the dough: Fill a large pan with boiling water and place it in the oven on the lowest rack, or heat a mug of water for 2 minutes in a microwave.
  •  Place the dough (in its bowl) in the oven or microwave along with the hot water. Leave it to rise.
  • If the dough still doesn't rise, add more yeast. Mix yeast from a new package with 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) warm water and 1/2 tsp. sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes until foam forms, to be sure the yeast is active. Knead the yeast mixture into the dough. Leave the dough in a warm place to rise. 
  • If  you have no more yeast, turn the dough into tasty crackers or breadsticks: Knead with grated cheese, roll thin, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, cut into squares or thin strips, then bake at 325 for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: