Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lemon Dreams

My Mother-in-law loves lemon (Lemon Chicken, Lemon Meringue Pie, etc.) and when I ran across this lemon recipe on Your Homebased Mom I thought I would make them for her. I found them to be very sweet and the lemon should be tangy so I have altered the recipe to match my taste buds.

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 2/3 cup flour

Filling:
2/3 cup sugar - I used ultrafine because I had it
1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon margarine
1/4 – 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add flour and mix until smooth. Roll out with powdered sugar about 1/4” thick. Cut out with 1 ½” cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.

For filling:
Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel and salt. Stir in egg, lemon juice and butter. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Cool. Add powdered sugar. Put a spoonful of filling on one cookie and top with another cookie. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes approx. 1 ½ dozen.

No comments: